Beauty Review: MyGlam Bag
I’ll be reviewing MyGlam’s January bag today! I found out about MyGlam a couple months after discovering Birchbox (which I really love). I thought I would cancel my Birchbox review to give MyGlam a chance for the month of January. MyGlam states on their site:
Every month, you receive a brand new Glam Bag with 4 to 5 of our top beauty finds! These full-sized products or deluxe-sized samples are selected by our stylists for you to enjoy.
A lot of the brands that they boast about on their site are brands like Urban Decay, Tarte, NYX, and Mai Couture. Here’s what was inside the January bag:
1. Cucumber Facial Peel-Off Masque by Freeman: This smells awful. In my opinion, the whole “cucumber” scent trend has passed. I didn’t even try this because I don’t really use anything but Clinique facial cleanser and lotion. This retails for $4.49 in any drugstore.
2. Cleansing Conditioner by Wen: I actually liked the scent of this conditioner. On Amazon, a 16 oz. bottle of this conditioner sells for $36.80. I’ll be interested in using it soon – a hairstylist I just talked to said that many of her clients use it in between shampooing.
3. Hot Ticket Nail Polish by The Balm: I have never heard of this brand…but that’s not saying much. I mostly stick to Essie, OPI, Deborah Lippman, and Zoya. I didn’t particularly enjoy the color and the formula seemed cheaper. A bottle of this polish sells for $10.00 on their website. That’s INSANE. I can buy a bottle of OPI for $8.50 and it’s 10x better.
4. Cover Duo Concealer by Sheer: I actually like this mineral concealer. I looked up Sheer Cover and it looks like you pay monthly for a kit. I don’t necessarily know how much the individual concealer sells for but Amazon has JUST the concealer for about $25. I used it and I really like it. It’s more of a dry concealer and I like that there are two shades (summer and winter).
Now that you know what was inside, I’ll share some thoughts about the whole experience.
- First of all, MyGlam’s website is lacking in many areas. I signed up for MyGlam back in December. They seemed to be adding features to their site every time I logged in to check on the status of my bag. Right now, they seem to display the current bag’s contents with links to the brands’ sites.
- They don’t award points for reviews or referrals. They also don’t allow you to purchase any products directly through their site.
- My MyGlam bag smelled like moth balls. Ew.
- The total value of the bag did end up being about $45. You get full size (or deluxe) samples and you pay $10/month. No matter how unhappy I was with the choices, I did get a deal.
In the end, I decided to cancel my MyGlam subscription. I tried to sign back up for Birchbox but they are actually sold out of subscriptions right now so in February, I will be trying Turntable Kitchen’s Pairings Box. It’s a a curated food and music discovery experience, delivered monthly! Check back late February for my thoughts. You can also read my reviews on my November & December Birchbox and Julep Maven!