One Day : Ross and Makenzie
This post has been a long time coming! With life, work and everything in between I was finally able to connect with MaKenzie and get these fabulous details about their wedding day! This couple is stunning and their wedding day was absolutely beautiful. After a 10 month engagement, MaKenzie and Ross said “I do” in downtown Cincinnati. Their colors, which were navy blue and fire engine red, definitely make their photographs pop. Enjoy this interview and the photography along with it. Seriously, the photography is lovely.
1. Now that you look back on your wedding day (almost 2 years ago), what do you remember most? I was so nervous that day. More nervous than I have ever been in my life – and EVERY feeling of anxiety/stress came from the fact that I was to walk down an aisle with hundreds of people looking at ME! I do not like being center of attention, but on my wedding day I realized how much I truly hate it! My dad even got a little concerned right before we started walking – trying to give me a little pep-talk because he thought I was going to pass out. I truly was not worried about the “new life change”, or becoming a wife, I was just scared to be the person who had to walk and not fall (while smiling at the same time). As cliche as this sounds though, the second that I turned down the aisle with my dad and looked at Ross – every single fear, anxiety and sick feeling diminished. I was almost shocked at how instantly I felt calm when I saw his face. Made me realize even more that it feels so good to have my best friend to lean on. That moment sticks out in my mind when I think back to my wedding because its easy to “think” you realize how much you love someone – or how much they mean to you – but at that second even my own emotion/body/fear recognized that Ross Dykstra was going to take care of me forever.
2. What was the vision for your wedding day before you started planning? I love the style of the 1930’s. I knew I wanted the look and feel of the wedding to be from that era. I also wanted it to be relaxed and casual – not an uptight gathering where everyone refused to cut loose! In our minds, we just wanted to have a huge party with our friends and family.
3. How did that vision change by the time you were finished with the planning? I’m not sure if it did? At least I hope not! The chaos of planning often got in the way, but I tried to hold true to the fact that I wanted this to be FUN and a true portrayal of me and Ross, and make everyone who attended feel special and enjoy themselves.
4. What difficulties did you face while planning a wedding in Cincinnati? Location, location, location – I knew I wanted a downtown city wedding but it was SO tough finding a place that afforded decent parking and was not ridiculously expensive! Thank God though, we were able to find a great church at a reasonable cost – that was a huge burden off when we booked the date!
5. What was your least favorite part of wedding planning? I hated, hated, hated making all the “little” decisions. Like – “What will be the order of events at the reception,” “Do you want ranch dressing or italian for the salads,” “What is the timeline for the actual wedding day?” – ARGH… I’m a more free spirited person so it was tough for me to make all the little decisions that although very important, were boring in my mind!
6. What was your favorite part of wedding planning? Making a guest list.
7. How did Ross (the groom) fit into the wedding planning process? He fit into a 34×36 tan Express suit for the ceremony… and that’s about all the “planning” he did. :)
8. If you could go back in time – what would “married MaKenzie” tell “engaged MaKenzie” before the wedding planning started? Girlfriend – just enjoy this and don’t worry about all the minor details. You’ve got Ross and before you know it it’ll be just you two – so SMILE!
I hope you loved taking a peek at Ross and MaKenzie’s wedding day. All of these photos were taken by Megan W Photography.